Alcohol and alcoholism – some things you may not know
What are the symptoms of alcohol dependence?
Four common symptoms of alcohol dependence include:
- Craving alcohol
- Experience withdrawal symptoms from alcohol
- Inability to control amount of alcohol consumed
- Increased tolerance for alcohol
What are the safe limits for alcohol consumption?
Department of Health guidelines state that:
- Men – drinking between 3 and 4 units a day indicates no serious risk to health
- Women – drinking between 1 and 2 units a day indicates no serious risk to health
Some other facts about alcohol
- Alcohol is a factor in 20% to 30% of accidents (Honkanen, 1993)
- Children of alcoholics are four times more likely to become alcoholics than children of non-alcoholics
- 3% of cancers are attributable to alcohol (Doll, 1996)
- In 11% of cases, alcohol is the prime cause of high blood pressure in men (Vandongen, 1994)